In the framework of the Sub–programme MEDIA a new call for proposals has been published by EACEA to support the distribution of non–national films. With the specific objective of promoting non-national circulation, priorities of the MEDIA Sub–programme are the following:
- supporting theatrical distribution through non–national marketing, branding, distribution and exhibition of audiovisual works;
- establishing systems of support for the distribution of non–national European films through theatrical distribution and on all other platforms as well as for international sales activities; in particular, the subtitling, dubbing and audio–description of audiovisual works.
The aim of the “Selective scheme” is to support the wider non–national distribution of recent non–national European films, in particular by encouraging theatrical distributors to invest in the promotion and in the adequate distribution of those films.
Eligible applicants are European Cinema/Theatrical distribution companies. These are companies owned, whether directly or by majority participation (i.e. majority of shares), by nationals of Member States of the European Union, or by nationals of the other European countries that participate in the MEDIA Sub-Programme and that are registered in one of these countries.
Applications shall be submitted from legal entities established in one of the following eligible countries:
- EU Member States and overseas countries and territories which are eligible to participate in the Programme;
- Acceding countries, candidate countries and potential candidates benefiting from a pre- accession strategy;
- EFTA countries.
The activities to be funded are campaigns for the distribution of non–national eligible European films, submitted as part of an eligible grouping of distributors coordinated by the sales agent (“the coordinator”). Proposals shall be submitted at least by a group of 7 eligible distributors.
The film must comply with the following criteria:
- it must be a work of fiction (including animated films) or a documentary, with a minimum duration of 60 minutes;
- it must have, at the earliest, its first copyright established in 2015;
- Films from UK, FR, ES, IT and DE must have a production budget of maximum EUR 10M.
The total budget earmarked for the co–financing of projects is estimated at EUR 9,75M. This budget is subject to the availability of the funds after the adoption of the budget for 2018 by the budgetary authority. The EU financial contribution will take the form of a lump sum. Approximately 25% of the budget will be allocated to films with a production budget below of EUR 3M.
The deadline for submitting proposals is Thursday 14th June 2018, 12:00 (noon, Brussels Time).